Saturday, September 8, 2012

Boosting Our Immune Systems

I know I usually just write blogs about our family, but I'm really excited about this and wanted to share it with you. A friend of mine posted this video on Facebook about how to make your own elderberry syrup. I've been giving my girls elderberry syrup most of their lives because it's a great anti-viral, homeopathic medicine. It's great when your kids are sick and it's even better to give them every day to keep them from getting sick. But the stuff I buy at the store is like $12 a bottle and it doesn't last very long, especially when they are sick and it has more unwanted "stuff" in it too. I love this because I know exactly whats in it. 

So, I got online and ordered a pound of dried elderberries and bought ginger root, honey, cloves and cinnamon sticks at the store. It's super easy to make. I won't go into all the details, I'll just let you watch the video if you want to do it. 

I've already started giving my girls a tablespoon a day. With Brenley starting preschool and a new baby on the way I don't want the girls to be sick all winter and risk getting the baby sick too. This is a much cheaper way to get it done. I was a little surprised at how expensive cloves and cinnamon sticks are but they will last a long time. Oh, and if you make this I recommend only using 1/2 cup of honey. It doesn't need all that honey. 

My girls love it and love taking their "medicine" every day! 
I hope you'll go out and try it!




0 comments: